Wednesday, October 28, 2009

If I had only known this 5 years ago

I wish that someone would have told me a few tips like the ones I am about to share with you when I first had kids. For those of you who aren't aware we bought our current house 5 years ago and have done quite a bit of work to it. If I had only known some of the things I know now when Cory was ripping out walls and replacing toilets I would have done things differently. Here are a few things that I have learned over the past 2 years now that Claire is getting more independent.

* The lower the light switch on the wall the better, otherwise you are constantly going to be asked to turn the lights on in any room they want to enter or when they have to go to the bathroom.

* Don't try to get fancy and get the newer toilets that are higher up. Your child isn't going to be able to get up onto them by themselves. They make look nicer but it will make your life so much easier if you stick with the standard size that are lower to the ground.

* Have as few t.v. remotes as possible. For some reason we have 3 different remotes and nobody besides me and Cory (not even our parents) can figure out how to turn the t.v. on. If adults can't figure it out how is my 4 year old suppose to? How many times a day/week do I have to turn the t.v. on for them and then change the channel? If it was all on one remote Claire could do it all by herself.

* After you wash all their clothes, hang them up as a set. Meaning hang the shirt and pants on the same hanger, put their skirts and top together, that way when they want to dress themselves you have a 90% chance they will match. Or when your husband goes to dress them on the weekends he is good to go!

* Put their cups on the lowest shelf in the refrigerator so they can open the fridge and get themselves a drink.

* Always buy Velcro shoes. Yes, laces may look cuter but when you are in a hurry and have other kids to dress the older ones can get their own shoes on and off.

* By a few cute baskets from Pottery Barn Kids or Home Goods for them to keep their toys in on their shelves. That way when it is time to clean up their room they don't just throw it in the closet or into random drawers, with baskets you have a 85% chance of knowing where that one special toy is.

* If you can finish your basement and when you do, again make sure the light switches are low enough that your kids can reach them.

* Make bedtime be the same time and same routine every night. My girls both go to bed so easily and I truly believe that it is all about routine!

* Take the Tylenol, band aids and triple antibiotic cream out of your upstairs bathroom and move them downstairs to either your kitchen pantry or bathroom closet. You would be surprised how often I have to go upstairs for one or the other.

Yes I am learning as I go, feel free to leave a comment with any advice that you other moms have learned out there. I am all ears especially if it helps to make our day go even smoother!

5 comments:

  1. Great tips! :D We learn so much just in a little while with kids, having a new home, etc. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit on most of my tips already. The biggest one, being having a sippy cup ready to go when the kids were smaller!! Also having a cute little ice pack in the freezer for all those dramatic moments after injuries, we have a little puppy dog one. It helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were great, practical tips! If we only knew then . . . {grin}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get 2 mesh laundry bags that you can hang from hooks in the luandry room. Every time someone as socks to wash they just toss them in one of the bags. That way, when you wash socks...as many come out as went in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get 2 mesh laundry bags that you can hang from hooks in the luandry room. Every time someone as socks to wash they just toss them in one of the bags. That way, when you wash socks...as many come out as went in.

    ReplyDelete