Friday, January 8, 2010

House of Night Vs Harry Potter

Okay so I started reading the House of Night series and am totally sucked it, yes it is about vampires, but not like I expected there is no running around killing innocent people to suck their blood. As I was reading the first book "Marked"(I just started the third book "Chosen") I started noticing a lot of similarities to the Harry Potter books, only Harry Potter is based around a male lead character and House of Night is based off a female lead. Here is how I find them to be a lot alike.

House of Night Series/ Harry Potter

Main Character: Zoey/ Harry

Best friend/roommate: Stevie Rae/ Ron

Close friend of opposite sex: Damien/ Hermione

Other friends: Shaunee & Erin/ Neville & Luna

Biggest rival: Aphrodite/ Malfoy

School name: House of Night /Hogwarts

Leader of a group: The Dark Daughters/ Quidditch

Evil: Neferet/ Voldemort

Pets: Cat-Nala /Owl-Hedwig

In both the books Zoey and Harry come into their powers faster than their other friends/students. Neither of them can seem to get hurt as they have been "Chosen" to do what it is they have been marked for, in Zoey's case it is to become the new High Priestess and stop Neferet and Harry's case becoming a powerful wizard to stop Voldemort. Both the books have magic in them as well as someone that needs to be saved or something that has to be destroyed so evil does not prevail.

Who else has read or is reading the House of Night books, what are your thoughts on how it relates to Harry Potter or on the series in general?

3 comments:

  1. I have read up through book six now! I.can't.wait for book seven to come out in April (or maybe it's May). :-) I am without a doubt sucked in.

    What a great observation you made. I never thought of it that way; and you are absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i guess I'm gonna have to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to check this out, I am a sucker for teen and children's lit.

    ReplyDelete