Thursday, January 21, 2010

Full or Half

As some of you already know I have been struggling with how to enroll Claire for Kindergarten next year. I can't believe that my baby is starting elementary school in the fall. We have a choice to either put her in full day or half and I am torn. I have spoken with her current teachers and gotten their opinions, I spoke with her teachers from last year and have even talked with her teacher she would have if she went to full day kindergarten next year. Of course none of them tell you one way or the other what to do they are more like a sounding board which at this point I don't need. Here are some of my thoughts:

Half Day:

-It would be an easier transition for her as she would go from 3 days a week at 2.5 hours a day to 5 days a week for just about 2.5 hours maybe 3.
-She would be around in the afternoon for us to still do fun things like going to the zoo,park etc.
-It is free!
-She would still have to adjust to a full day week next year in 1st grade.
-She wouldn't know her way around the cafeteria when it came time for 1st grade.
-She won't be exposed to as many projects and no electives.
-Starting 1st grade she is going to be going to school every day all day for the next 12 years, why rush it.
-Her birthday is May so she would be one of the younger kids in her class.

Full Day:
-It would kick her butt for the first couple of weeks as from the time the bus picked her up until she came home she would be gone for 7.5 hours.
-She would get to eat lunch at school with all her friends, which she is SO excited about and learn the ropes of the cafeteria.
-She would have the opportunity to do projects and learn more in depth about each topic instead of just scratching the surface as she would in half day.
-She would get two recesses and have time to do electives in the afternoon such as gym, art and music class!
-It cost money, not sure how much but I know it is over $3,000.
-She is REALLY excited and WANTS to go full day, however, I know that she doesn't understand what that means exactly. I have talked to her several times and explained to her that it is not like preschool.

Yes, I know that there is also the option of having her go half day and then putting her in adventure club a few days a week to make her days longer and get her introduced to the cafeteria, however, Cory and I both agree that if we are going to pay money for adventure club then we would rather just buck up and pay for full day and get all the benefits.

Help, what are you other moms out there that have little ones that are going to start kindergarten next year thinking? Dawn, Heather, what are you going to do with Jack and Connor? Other moms who have already been through this process with your little ones, what is your advice?

6 comments:

  1. Here's my two cents...

    I loved half-day kindergarten for Luke (2 years ago). I'm planning on it for Bennett., and hopefully it will still be around when Jack Henry goes to Kdg, though I am not holding my breath.

    There are a couple of main reasons, most of which you already touched on:

    1. It's free.
    2. I'm home all day, and I wanted the extra time with him (or for us to do fun activities).
    3. He has the rest of his life to be in school all day long.
    4. There's no evidence that I've seen that says that kids get any academic advantage past first grade...by the start of 2nd grade, or so I've read, half-day and full-day kdg kids are indistinguishable from each other.

    Luke transitioned just fine to full-day first grade, with no trouble with riding the bus, eating in the cafeteria, etc. Don't get me wrong; getting back into the swing of things was difficult after summer, but I think it will always be that way to some degree.

    Obviously, there's absolutely nothing wrong with full day kindergarten, and Claire would do great, I'm sure! But those are the reasons that we decided on half-day.

    Good luck...school decisions are so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved half day for all the same reason Nicole mentioned. Sometimes the schedule feels a little harried, but mostly I'm just glad I have one more year with Sloan mostly at home.

    Once a month, on early release days, the half day kids do get to eat lunch with the whole school - this would give her the lunch room practice. And personally, I felt like it would be easier for Sloan to adjust to a full day of school after having a year to acclimate to elementary school life.

    As far as electives and the extra recess, again, she's got the rest of her life to enjoy those things. She will still get to do art, music and gym once a week and a positive is that she and Paige would have one more year together to play and develop their relationship.

    My advice would be, don't let things like lunch and electives be a waying factor in your decision. Mostly do what you think would be best for Claire and best for your family. Then trust your instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay.....talk about GREAT MINDS because I have been thinking and praying about this for months but just REALLY started making decisions and things this week!! My hubby and I were just discussing the pros and cons last night!! Of course, Connor is a May B=Day just like Claire and I feel so similar to you...full day is too long, he will be the youngest, would love to have a little more time with him for a little longer at home, why rush it, etc?
    We are still going to pray about it through the Spring, but as of right now we are not going to send Connor to Kindergarten in the fall. I think we will send him to a Half-Day Pre-K instead. This way he will get a "transisiton year"--still a new preschool and new friends and good practice for Kindergarten, still a good curriculum with academic chalenges, but just every morning instead of all day. And smaller classes, less "pressure", no cafeteria, etc. Just a small step TOWARDS Kindergarten. We just think, emotionally speaking, he is not ready for the "real deal." And we want to make sure that when we send him, he is ready...so I think that's our answer for now!!! Sorry if this is long and rambling...such a hard decision and I have so many feelings about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Half day all the way girl!!! Chase is a May bday and has always been one of the youngest in class. He went half day K...has been in the highest groups every yr (reading, math) and goes to CCL. Brooke, the opposite, she is one of the oldest. So she is 6 in half day K this yr. She goes to adv club on Wed only now. She was going on fridays, but would say, "ugh tomorrow is such a loooong day" I think the one day a wk in adv club is great for her...gets to go to lunch and then do games, and art activities and an extra recess in adv club. They have a special classroom for it this yr and we love it!! Plus...as far as lunch with her friends, for Claire, you could do lunch or play dates where they can ride the bus home with e/o after half day. Kelli is correct. they have art, music, gym and recess every week in half day. Plus the 1day a month "early release" day that actually has them staying longer and for lunch!
    Last yr it was $300per month for full day. Adv club is $15 day for kinder. I too, agree, they have the rest of their school yrs to go allll day. Enjoy this time. I like my days to myself at times too, but seriously, find that too much alone time finds me wondering what to do with myself...sad, huh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thank you ladies!! All the advice has really helped! I am 90% sure she will be going half day and now that I know that once a week she does get art, music and gym that is even better. I like the idea of adventure club once a week too, we will see what I end up doing with Paige for next year as to whether or not I do that with Claire.
    Thanks again you all are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since half days are not a choice in Farmington, mine all started full days. Had I the choice...I think 1/2 day for a few months and then full days after that. If she has already been involved in a pre-k porgram I think she well equiped to do a full day. I think it all comes done to what mommy wants...not what baby wants! :)

    ReplyDelete