Sunday was not a good day for me, for some reason all of the sudden I felt completely overwhelmed. I was fine until about 11am or so an then it is like a switch just flipped inside me. All I feel my life consists of lately is cleaning and picking up all the time. I tried to explain it to Cory (not very nicely or so I have been told by my husband) that when he leaves work it is all left at the office. When he is home on the weekends he is "off" work and gets to enjoy his time off. I on the other hand don't feel like I ever get time "off", no matter what day of the week it is I am still picking up the house, making meals, and being mommy the always on duty caregiver. Cory actually told me that I need to do something or go somewhere because all I was doing was yelling at everyone. Where exactly am I suppose to go and why should I have to leave the house? He suggested that I go to the gym, oh yeah that is exactly where I want to go on the weekend? Shopping, no we are trying to keep the credit card bill down not make it go up again. Again I come back to the question of why in order for me to be able to be left alone and not be on mommy, clean up duty should I have to leave my house? Why can't I just stay home, relax and not feel like the house is closing in on me? I know it is partly due to the weather, we are all stuck inside on top of each other, making messes to stay entertained and then the cycle of cleaning up starts all over again.
Am I the only mom out there that is feeling this way? How do you all do it, stay sane and not yell and go crazy on your family? I can't wait for spring to get here so we can start playing outside again with the neighbors. Going to the park with friends and the to zoo for the day. It has been so cold and snowy here lately that I am pretty sure this weather has gotten me down in the dumps I just need some warm weather and sunshine and hopefully things will start looking up.
(((HUGS))) I'm sorry that you had a stressful day.
ReplyDeleteno your not at all. I stayed home for 10 years & even now that I work part time I still feel like I'm never ever "off". My kids are a lot older than yours and over the last few years I've learned a few things about how to deal with that feeling. First, I have one evening I got out alone (or with a friend). Even if it's just for a few hours to set at a bookstore or coffee shop. I look forward to that time every week and it helps me to "deal" with the rest of the week. I love to see a movie too. Also, I try to take one weekend day and take the day "off". I try to make it the day that we will be home the most that weekend. My whole family knows I'm "off" and that this is the day I expect them to help carry the load a little. Sometimes I admit I have to let thing go a little, but for the most part we eat left overs and I do a good cleaning the night before so I really can make myself take the time to relax. The main things I've learned is that it really does help to get away for a little while each week and that I just have to let it go a little on the weekend. good luck!
ReplyDeleteI get to leave here every day and I still get crazy. Right now I am crazy at school AND home (everybody runs when they see me coming). That is why I broke down and started dieting. And working out. This winter has been miserably cruel. But, it is almost over. Maybe find a reasonably priced class to take--something you've always wanted to do that lets you be creative and relaxed--and out of the house for an hour or two a week.
ReplyDeleteWe ALL have those times Julie, you poor thing!! The age of the kids has a lot to do with it too, I think. I use to yell all the time at everyone too, a few yrs back, which puts them at your kids age now. It does get better. Everyone is old enough now to be vocal back to eachother, which doesn't help. As mom, we ARE always ON. Mike and I have noticed that when he and I are both home the kids STILL always come to me with every Q or prob..hello, dad is right there, go ask him for help. I have found, that I am less irritable if my house is picked up, otherwise everytime I enter a messy room, I blow up!! Put some music on loud, (I know your girls love it too) and have everyone grab a dust rag and tidy up while having fun. Also, lately I just plop myself down on the couch when I am "done" with every little thing, and watch my shows, I am there if someone needs to ask me something, but it is my time, and they make it quick. Anyway, now i am just rambling. What i really want to say is you are NOT alone and it is normal...remind ourselves that one day the house will be very quiet and we will yearn for someone to bug us :) Side note, I LOVE going to church on sundays and it totally refuels and energizes me for the week ahead, By weeks end, I can tell i am in need of another "dose" by sunday :) We had a blast with you guys Sat pm too!!!
ReplyDeleteOh girl I hear you!! I think I have breakdowns like this once a week! I tell my husband I want me time, but I can't think of a single place to go or anything to do on my own because of the same reasons you have. I just want to be at home curled up all by myself sometimes and it never happens. I just try to look at it like this, these days of being with the kids will be gone one day and I will miss it. Stay positive :)
ReplyDeleteBig Hugs!!!
You need a girl's night out or bunko or something. I do think that leaving the house helps and being able to rant to another female in the same situation helps.
ReplyDeleteThis weather has not helped at all. Everytime anyone goes outside they track mud in. And then we have had a ton of time off of school and I feel like we have been all over each other. I have been trying to have some mommy playdates so that I can talk to other mommies and stay sane. Hang in there!
I hear ya!!! It is so hard to be a stay home mom because we ARE always at our "office." There is always something to be done and we see it every second of every day!!! Glad today was better....Spring will be here SOON I pray!
ReplyDeleteWe JUST had the same conversation at my house! I am reading a book (you know, in all my spare time) called "Mothers Need Time Outs Too". The point is that being selfish does NOT make you a bad mom, it can actually help. I'm trying to figure out how to apply it to real life. I KNOW the warmer weather will help. And maybe we should start a Bunko group. I sub sometimes with a friend's group and it is a good time AWAY! You are an awesome mom!!!
ReplyDelete