I decided to take Paige's binky away yesterday and I can not believe how well she did. I think that I am more upset about it then she is. For those of you that don't know Paige was very attached to her binky (or so I thought). If we were playing upstairs she would go into her room, reach through the slats of her crib and grab both her binky and blanket. If we were downstairs playing she may disappear for a few minutes and then reappear with her binky and blanket in hand. Yesterday morning after we were all up and moving I decided to take all the binky's out of her crib and put them in her dresser drawer so she could not get to them during the day unless it was nap or bedtime. Within a few minutes she realized they were gone and cried for a good 10 minutes very upset that she could not find them. The rest of the morning she and Claire played in the basement, we all three baked cookies and they played some more and Paige never asked for her binky again. I decided since she had gotten over it so easily that AM that I would try nap without it. I had myself and Claire all prepared that Paige was going to cry. I could not believe it when I laid her down and she did not ask for it or even let out the slightest whimper. Bedtime went very well last night as well. She was asking for it and when I told her it was gone she looked at me and said "I wook" (I look) and headed for the trash can in the bathroom. Poor thing thought that I had thrown them away. I explained to her that I didn't throw them away they were just gone. She asked why a couple of times but when bedtime came she did not cry. She had a hard time falling asleep, Cory and I heard her talking and moving around for about an hour. After Cory went in, gave her a sip of milk and just rocked her for a few minutes she was right to sleep and slept until this AM at 7:30. As for nap this afternoon, so far so good!
People would ask me when I was going to take her binky away and I just would answer I don't know whenever I am ready. I took Claire's away at 18 months and with Paige about to hit 20 I decided it was time. I just wasn't ready, knowing that Paige is my last one I just wanted to hang on to one of the few things that still showed me she was a baby. Oh well I still have potty training to look forward to right?
Okay, I am very shocked. I can see Paige doing okay during the day while playing, but I thought sure she would cry at nap and at night time as I know you had difficulty with Claire at night. I am so impressed that it is going so well. Hope it continues this way for you, as you sure don't want to back track.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain. It nearly broke my heart to stop Landon's bottles. He didn't seemto mind a bit, but I went through major withdrawals.
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel. It was hard for me when Brooke gathered hers and took them to target. It feels like and end, doesn't it? I am feeling those thoughts right now, as Brooke already has her first loose tooth!!! Not my BABY!!!
ReplyDeleteI about tore in two when we took down #3's baby bed. That was the hardest thing yet!
ReplyDelete