Thursday, November 20, 2008

Really makes you stop and think

While I was out yesterday a song came on the radio that I have heard many times before, however, this time it was different some how. It might have been because I had just heard about the 3 year old little boy who was playing in his backyard with his dog one minute and the next he and the dog were both gone. As of last night the police had expanded the search up to 6 miles around his house and still had not found him or the dog.
I wish that my girls could have the childhood that I had where they could play outside any time of day or night and not have to be afraid or ongaurd. My friends and I use to LOVE to play outside when it was dark to play flashlight tag, kick the can or ghost in the graveyard, it makes me sad to think that our children can't have that same freedom. As parents we feel like we have to be there with them to supervise all the time and with what happened yesterday with the 3 year old it seems we are right. I only hope and pray that he and the dog just wandered off, anyone know an update?
Below are the lyrics to the song that I heard on the radio. The song title is A Different World by Bucky Covington (yes he was on American Idol and I have to admit that I was not a big fan of his on the show, but now he has several songs out that I like).

Let me know what you all think.

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead-based paint
No childproof lids
No seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets
and still here we are
Still here we are

We got daddy's belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside
Playing outside

It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

School always started the same everyday
the pledge of allegiance, then someone would pray
not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed but that was alright
We turned out alright

It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

No bottled water
We'd drink from a garden hose
And every Sunday,
All the stores were closed.

It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

It was a different world

Here is the link to the song if you want to hear it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AlrFOBmdVI

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even hear that news about the little boy and his dog!! Where did he live, here in Stl??? Good words to that song. so true, things Mike and I always tell Chase esp playing out all day til night and drinking from the hose! Thank you for the friendly reminder about the date:) Not a whole lot happening over here, i guess. I'm off all weekend so I'll get on it! Was hoping you and the girls and Killian would join us outside yesterday:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, Christmas music!!!:) Let me know how the Dr goes! I'm praying for good news this am.

    ReplyDelete