Sunday, October 5, 2008

One Legged Mom!

Okay for those of you that don't already know I fell and broke two bones in my foot on Friday and WOW, what an inconvenience it has been to my life. I think that there should be some way that ensures that a mother of young children can not get hurt in anyway, shape, or form that enables her to tend to her children. I am so mad at myself because as Cory so nicely pointed out it wasn't even a good way or a good story to tell on how it happened. I was at my sister's house getting ready to leave and get the girls home for naps so I was walking out of her kitchen into her garage. She has two steps that go down from her kitchen into her garage and as I was walking down them I saw out of the corner of my eye a toy that I needed to dodge. Well in doing so I ended up setting my foot down on the very edge of her doormat (who has a doormat going from your garage into your house anyway?) causing my left ankle to totally buckle away from my body out to the left all the way around. I felt this unbelievable pain shoot through my body and heard a "pop" so I immediately knew it was bad, however, I was holding Paige so I had to set her down before I could collapse to the floor myself. I starting calling for my sister who was right behind me until she remembered she needed to do something real quick before walking out with us. She came outside and said "what is going on, what happened"? I wanted to say I don't know you tell me you were behind me but, she wasn't. Then there is my adorable nephew who will be 5 in February trying to tell me what he saw and Claire who is laughing because she thinks that I am kidding around not realizing that I feel like I am going to DIE! At first I was in so much pain that I couldn't think of anything except for the pain I was feeling. For some reason I must have weak ankles because I have done this type of thing many times before, one example being about a month ago I was a the park with my neighbor and did the same thing to my right foot except the pain didn't last as long, I was able to walk on it and there was no "pop". So I thought that if I just rested it for a few minutes it would be okay, wrong within 10 minutes my food was starting to swell and turning black and blue. I ended up going to the Urgent Care and sure enough I chipped my ankle bone and fractured one of the bones that goes from my ankle down to my toes along the outside of my foot. They put me in an ankle brace and a boot for my foot, however, it is not a walking boot so I am on crutches which is near impossible to get around with. After just two days my armpits are killing me and I get tired so easily from having to get myself around. I am going to call the Orthopedist on Monday as soon as they open and hope and pray that I can get in and get a Walking Boot so I can get rid of the crutches.
I talked to my mom this morning and told her that I think I am starting to get depressed. I can't do anything, there are so many times that I want to do something as easy as get up and let the dog out or go to the bathroom and have to get myself up into the standing position and then grab my crutches without falling over and then be on my way to do my simple task. It is all such a pain and as I told my neighbor Carol, I am for the most part a pretty independent person and I DEFINITELY have my routine and ways of doing things with the girls and not being able to do them is driving me crazy, I have to sit back and let go of the reins so to speak and let Cory drive for awhile which I am SO not good at.
Prime example, the phone is ringing right now, but am I even going to try to get it, nope because I know that by the time I get my butt out of this chair and get the crutches and hobble to the phone I will be too late so why even bother. One more thing that totally stinks is that Cory actually took off work this week to spend some time with the girls and me, we were going to try and do some fun things around town but now that is out! I guess in a way I am lucky that he is home this week because there is NO way that I could take care of the girls all by myself but this is not how I envisioned this week to be as I am sure he didn't either.

4 comments:

  1. Oh julie, I feel for you. Do you need some of my Xanax stash?? Use this time to do a project....those 200 pictures you got developed need a home. Or how about start your Christmas cards very early! Please let me know of ANY little thing you may need me to do to help, even though you don't like to ask, kay?!!! we are here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NO idea this happened! Sheesh. Let me help you! I'll be gone tomorrow morning - well, I'll probably not be much of a help at all tomorrow, but any day after that, let me help in any way. Do you want a meal or maybe the girls could come over and play and you could hang out with your foot up and a cold drink (don't turn this down, girl - it's a one time offer!) Let me know what you need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least blogging isn't hindered! (Just teasing!) I hope it heals really fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jules. OMG I can't believe that you broke your foot! Are you feeling any better today? Also, I can't believe the roof situation and that the guy fell through the bathroom. Wow, I will send happy thoughts your way. Anything I can do from MS? I teach from 2-5 but will try to call you tonight to see how you are doing. Call me if you need anything!
    love,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete