Thursday, April 8, 2010

Gotta Brag

I took Claire in for her Kindergarten screening today and she did great!! She was only 4 points away from being in the above average range. It is interesting and frustrating to me at the same time to see how she does on these "tests" if you want to call them that. When they asked her to locate certain body parts she got them all except her eyebrows, hips and ankles. I couldn't help myself when I heard that I turned to her and said "Claire, where are your eyebrows", of course she points right to them and then I said and "your hips", again she pointed right to them. The teacher and I just laughed and she said "it happens all the time, kids are so funny like that, one day they know it and the next they don't". She knew all her colors and missed I think it was three letters, but I can't remember which ones. She did great at writing her name and carrying on a conversation with the tester (knew there would be no problems there as long as she wasn't acting shy, girl talks my ear off daily). The one area that she did really well in was when they tell her two numbers and then she has to repeat it back to them from memory. Example being they told her 6-9 and then she repeated back 6 & 9. She was able to go all the way up and repeat back five numbers, the teacher said that is really really good for this age group. The test only went up to 6 numbers so way to go Claire, it didn't surprise me too much though as she has a FANTASTIC memory, too good at times. :) We got the green light and were told that she is more than ready for Kindergarten. After we left the Early Childhood Center where she had her screening, I took her up to her new school so she could look around. She got really excited, but a little nervous as well. Her first question to me when I told her "the bus will drop you off right here, you will walk through these doors and back to your classroom" was "but mom, what if I can't find my room"? I told her she will be fine and someone will be there to help her find her way if she needs it. Ah, I can't believe my little girl is officially ready for Kindergarten.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Claire. I knew she was smart but always nice to have confirmation that she is definitely ready for Kindergarten. I can understand why she is concerned about finding her way around in a new school environment. I still have dreams of not being able to find my locker in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Claire!! I always walked my kids in their first day to help lessen some of the first day fears :) Too bad Brooke won't be able to show her around anymore. Missed you at the gym..I kept watching the door waiting for you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Sometimes I think the kids are so adaptable and it's us that has the hard time! I remember when Adam started at COF, I felt like I was starting school all over. Claire will do great! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete