Friday, June 4, 2010
To go or not to go
I am sure there are many of you out there that are having the same conversation in your house lately, "do we go on our family vacation to Florida as planned or cancel due to the unknown"? I am so upset about the oil spill for so many reasons and even more upset that Obama hasn't gotten another group involved and tell BP see you later. It is so upsetting to see what the oil is doing to the water, animals, environment etc. I am obsessed with what they are doing, their latest attempts, if they have been able to get the spill under control, how it is affecting the coast etc. It reminds me of back over a year and a half ago when I broke my foot and was obsessed with gas prices. I couldn't go out anywhere by myself due to two little ones and the crutches, but I could at least get in the car and drive myself around, thus becoming obsessed with gas prices. Anyway, Cory and I have been going back and forth as to whether or not to keep our plans to visit Siesta Key, Florida the beginning of August or not. I hate to cancel as we are all looking forward to the get away, however, we have to let the resort know by Monday the 7th if we are canceling or not. After another talk last night and seeing on the news how the oil is beginning to wash up on the Pensacola Beaches, we have decided to cancel our trip! Even if they get the oil spill under control the damage is already done and in the water and the oil that is already in the water is going to have to run it's course which will probably take itself through all of Florida. The news crew also interviewed a local doctor about the risks of taking your family to the Florida beaches even if the oil hasn't reached the beaches yet or if you still go and just swim in the pools not the ocean. The doctor said that just by being in the area and breathing the air that has fumes from the oil is dangerous. He also said that you may not go into the contaminated ocean water and keep your kids in the pools, however, if anybody else gets into the ocean and then gets into the pool the water in the pool is now contaminated as well. I am sorry but that did it for me, there is no way that I am putting my children's health at risk just for some sun and sand. If it works out that BP is able to get the spill stopped and under control before August then maybe it won't be as bad as they are saying and we can then rebook our trip. I don't see anyone else booking the weekend that we cancel. We talked last night about maybe going North to Wisconsin or Michigan or even to the East coast N. Carolina or Hilton Head. We will see how everything turns out, what about all of you, any plans to head to the beach this summer? If so what beach?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
such a bummer...we just cancelled gulf shores, too.
ReplyDeletewe're definitely going north this summer! i've read that there is a strong chance that the oil will reach the atlantic coast shores, too. not risking that.
we're going to michigan for the first time; making plans this weekend.
We went for the second time to Hilton Head this year. It is gorgeous, can't recommend it enough. The drive isn't as bad as you would think.
ReplyDeleteits so hard to see the future...good luck with your decision.
ReplyDelete