Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kids need to come with sensors

I had an experience yesterday with Claire at the grocery store that really made me decide that all kids need to come with a sensor button. As a lot of you know Claire is very curious and never misses a beat. Well yesterday when I was in the self check out lane at SNS this man in a wheelchair came to the other self check out across from us. Now by this time I already knew that I was in trouble and that the questions were going to start coming so I am trying to hurry through the check out process as fast as possible. So you all understand the conversation let me give you a mental picture of what this man looked like. He was probably in his mid to late 40's and looked to be pretty tall and had a pretty good size belly on him. He was also sitting on one of those pads that you can get in case you have a bladder problem or as I know from the labor part of my two deliveries to help with the mess when your water breaks. Anyway now that you know that you should be able to follow along pretty well.

Claire: "Mommy why is that man sitting on a blanket?"

Me: Trying to ignore her and scanning and bagging as quickly as possible

Clarie: "Mom why is that man sitting on a blanket?"

Me: "Not now"

Claire: not taking that as an answer and asked the same question again, but this time even louder so I am sure if he hadn't heard her the first two times he did that time along with the other people that were within 20 feet.

Me: Giving her that look, you know the this is not an appropriate question look, you really need to just stop talking look. As well as telling her "not now" and saying "shh" at the same time.

Claire: Still staring at the man and rewording the question to "Why does that man have a blanket" just in case I wasn't understanding her question the first 3 times.

Me: Getting all flustered with trying to bag everything and getting my credit card out of my purse along with giving Claire the look one more time and telling her "We will talk about it in the car" as quietly as I can so the man doesn't hear me.

Well that answer seemed to be acceptable to her and she stopped asking until we got into the car of course, but she never once stopped staring at him or having the look of why is he sitting on a blanket.

Any of you who have children of 2 or older have been in this same situation many times as this was definitely not my first experience with wanting to just crawl under a rock and pretend I wasn't there. If you have children who aren't old enough to embarras you quite yet just wait and when that day comes for the first time you too will be wishing that your child came with a sensor button.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Julie Bird! This story made me LOL! My own little ones have done the very same thing to me, countless times! I've discovered that if I can give an answer that seems to be non-embarrassing pretty fast, it helps. Such as "it probably makes him comfy in his chair!" :) Oh, the joys and humiliations of raising children! Connor once yelled at the top of his voice in Wal-Mart "Mom! Why does she have a black face?!" about the first black person he saw. I just raplied that God gave some people black faces and some people white faces and just about ran down the aisle to get away from that lady. I was so worried that she'd think I was a racist or something! tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH, I just found a typo in my last comment, and Jules you KNOW how that drives me crazy! I can't figure out how to get in and spell the word correctly. Sigh. Sorry I'm cluttering your darling blog with misspelled words.

    ReplyDelete